Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Question about Eragon and other stuff

Hi, I finally figured out how to get back in here. Getting old and forgetting logins and passwords it not cool. Ah, well. Hey, I started Orson Scott Card's Empire and it is good so far. Got lots of post-9/11 tie ins, War on Terror gone awry kind of stuff.

Has anyone out there read Eragon? I was part of a conversation among college professors, some of whom held the view that a 15-year old could not possibly have experienced the world enough to be able to write well. Others held that that was not true. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds pretty good. What's the thinking? I won't see the movie until I've read the book, and then probably won't watch it anyway because I hate it when a movie is not nearly as good as the book.

Happy reading! That 9/11 graphic novel sounds kind of interesting. I'll check with my graphic novel expert to see how it is.

3 comments:

librarygoddess50 said...

You know, we have several sets of books by really young authors--Paolini being one of the best. I think there are people gifted enough to write at a young age. Who would have thought Mozart could compose at such a young age? I think it is very possible--I saw a story on him just the other day. We do have the book--it is out, and has about 4 holds on it. I am going to take a risk and see the movie before the book!

Amber M said...

There's also the fact that this is a fantasy fictional novel. I mean, it does have to do with life, but it's about dragons and a different world from this one...so even if a 15-year-old doesn't know a lot about the world, he certainly does have plenty of knowledge about the world he's created in his mind!

Ethel said...

About The 9/11 Report graphic novel check with Person after Christmas, that was one of her Christmas break check-outs.