Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On Orson Scott Card's Empire

I've just finished Card's Empire and it is very good, especially for those of you who like Card's style. He definitely has a political message here. The premise is that people have become so blinded by partisanship that they can't see reality. It's the radical right vs the radical left in the Second American Civil War in this book, and neither is admirable. Just in case you don't "get it," he has included a little essay at the end explaining his philosophical stance. He fears, for example, that America is becoming so partisan that if someone announces that he/she is a Republican, for instance, that automatically brings in an entire idealogy and value set, as well as wholesale support of what we see as a Republican "agenda." His contention is that this kind of view is skewed and just wrong. A Republican might, for example, oppose gay marriage but support Roe v Wade, support the separation of church and state in terms of prayer in schools and oppose the war in Iraq while supporting a conservative fiscal plan in terms of taxes. He clearly sees politic views as individual choices on the parts of individuals and not a mass movement kind of thing.

Aside from the politics--which I really like--there is the usual "Card-esque" adventure, detail, newfangled gizmos, and surprising plot twists. All in all a very good read for folks of all ages.

6 comments:

librarygoddess50 said...

I may have to pick this one up--certainly sounds like he has a grasp on the politics of our age. I think the last election certainly drew an unprecedented line in the sand between parties. There is no middle ground anymore--you must support each party wholeheartedly. This also sounds like a book that could be used in English and Civics to discuss the political party system.

Amber M said...

I've only heard good things about Orson Scott Card. my friend joshua was absolutely OBSESSED with this man's books!! So i bought one of his...called The Lost Boys. Has anyone read it? I've only read the prologue so far (i have sooooo many books!!), and it freaked me out considerably. XD

Jeanne M said...

I've always had students who love Card's work. I've never read Lost Boys but I love Ender's Game. Maybe you should try that when you have time.

Ethel said...

I'm not much of a Sci. Fic. reader, but I have read "Ender's Game" and the 7 books that followed "Ender's Game. And I enjoyed the books. So that says something about the books and the author. Card also writes books based on bible characters. I read "Sarah" which was also very good. I haven't read the book Lost Boys but I guess I need to look into reading a copy.

Paul said...

Just finished Empire. I highly recommend it. It is a wonderfully contemporary novel that makes you think. I encourage you to read "Self-Reliance" by Emerson after reading Empire. I think the message is the same. We must listen to ourselves and not be guided by the mob mentality.

Jeanne M said...

Cool. I never made the Emerson connnection. I'll go look at that.