Thursday, March 1, 2007

Fun Planned for Oliver Twist readers

I hope that many of you bloggers are reading along in Oliver Twist. I, too, am enjoying it, but I want to smack the beejeebers out of somebody for so abusing the kid! Anyway, here are our plans for fun:

On March 8 at 3:20 or so in the media center we'll have a nice English tea, with nice English snacks such as scones and crumpets, perhaps some cucumber sandwiches. At this point, we'll talk about around half the book, depending on where we all are. At this point, I'll get a headcount for the Friday, March 23rd festivities. If you cannot attend this meeting contact the Library Goddess and let her know so we can count you in. But please try to come to this meeting--especially students!

On March 23, we will leave school around 3:30 and head to Spice of India restaurant for a nice meal and discussion of Oliver. FREE to students IF you've read the book. How's that for bribery? Then, we'll return and watch the play "Oliver."

If we want, we can do a follow up meeting (maybe with more tea) later to compare the book and play.

If this turns out to be fun--and it seems like it will--perhaps we can do more "fun with the classics" events. OK?

10 comments:

Amber M said...

A FEW THINGS!!

first of all, i figure we should do this with more than just classics. don't get me wrong, i'm starting to be okay with classics, but there are still modern books that some of us feel everyone should read.

second, the AP project for My Antonia will be due on Monday, so i don't think i'll be halfway through Oliver Twist by the 8th...

also i love free food. :-D

another idea--we could always do this over the summer if people keep checking it, and we can meet at some restaurant. just an idea--maybe i'm the only one who's a loser for things like this. XD

Jeanne M said...

Good ideas all the way around. I'm certainly game for doing this with other books. And the summer meeting sounds cool. We'll rope Miss P into this as well. Come to tea even if you are not halfway through. Even a few pages can give you an idea of how the book differs wildly from the play. Encourage friends to jump in as well.

librarygoddess50 said...

Great idea on the summer blogging--I can do that from the shore!! I don't know about meeting--getting me home is not easy--but ya'll can certainly meet without the LibraryGoddess, and Media Girl would probably meet with you all. In the summer, I read junk--pure, simple, mindless, junk. We can talk about the junk we are reading!

Let me know if you are coming to the tea--you can come even if you've read just a chapter or two. I am really surprised at how I am enjoying it!

Amber M said...

I suppose i can come.....why not!

and no books are junk unless they're badly written. Nora Roberts is NOT junk!!!

Jeanne M said...

I agree Amber, though tastes change. Some of the stuff I read in high school looks more junky now, so junk up while you can. I was a gothic novel connoisseur in high school. Now it's clever mystery novels like those by Dick Francis and the classic Raymond Chandler.

Speaking of Nora Roberts, I've just picked up a J.D. Robb book (her pseudonym for mystery writing). I'll let you know how it goes.

Maybe for the summer we could all read the same couple of books and blog on about them. Give us a list of your interests and why and we'll do the same. Then we can make a plan between now and the summer.

Hope to see you at tea.

Amber M said...

Ahh J.D. Robb!! i don't want to start reading those books until I can start at the beginning of the series, but i think that they're going to be very interesting. I love all her other books (especially the later ones that aren't published by Harlequin--books with a little more story than just love), so she's a big favorite.

I'll work on that list!!

Jeanne M said...

I think I have the first one--can't remember the title this moment. I looked at the blurb on the jacket and some "boxed sets" on the shelf. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. When I finish Oliver and a couple of other things I'm working through for classes, I'll dive in. It looks like a quick and fun read. If it's cool, I'll pass it along.

librarygoddess50 said...

Maybe, just maybe, Mrs. Murray could arrange a summer field trip and drive any interested children and adults over to my cottage at the shore for a day of reading and discussion on the beach! How cool would that be?

Jeanne M said...

I'm game if you all are.

Amber M said...

o0o0o BEACH!!!! sweeeet.
where is this cottage at the shore? it sounds so romantic!